Kali Linux Live 2022.3 (x64) (Former BackTrack)
Kali Linux contains a vast array of hacker tools and utilities (password attacks, sniffing and spoofing, reverse engineering, …). Hacking foreign WiFi/WLAN (wireless attacks) and more. Kali is designed for digital forensics and penetration testing.
Kali is preinstalled with numerous penetration-testing programs, including nmap (a port scanner), Wireshark (a packet analyzer), John the Ripper (a password cracker), and Aircrack-ng (a software suite for penetration-testing wireless LANs). Kali can be run from a hard disk, live DVD, or live USB.
The ISO images are Live CD/DVDs that allow the user to start the live environment with default options, in safe graphics mode, in forensic mode, using the simple or encrypted persistence mode, which allows you to save files on the USB stick and reuse it whenever you want, as well as to permanently install the operating system on a local drive.
GNOME Classic desktop environment for traditional hackers
Kali Linux’s main and only desktop environment is powered by GNOME 3.4, which provides users with a traditional desktop environment that uses a two-panel layout and a pitch black theme. Default applications include the Iceweasel web browser, Empathy IM client, VLC Media Player, and Brasero CD/DVD burning tool.
Hundreds of penetration testing tools
As mentioned, the operating system includes over 300 penetration testing utilities, among which we can mention Aircrack-ng, Hydra, Nmap, Wireshark, Metasplot framework, Maltego, Owasp-Zap, SQLMap, John, Burpsuite, Johnny, Pyrit, SIPcrack, PWdump, Rainbowcrack, Maskgen, Hexinject, SSLSniff, and Dsniff.
In conclusion, those of you who are looking for an updated version of BackTrack should definitely download and use the Kali Linux operating system, as it is created by the same team of developers that started the world’s most popular free penetration testing Linux distribution.
The most advanced penetrating testing distribution, ever.
Kali, the most advanced and versatile penetration testing distribution ever created. Kali has grown far beyond its humble roots as a live DVD and has now become a full-fledged operating system.
Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution aimed at advanced Penetration Testing and Security Auditing. Kali contains several hundred tools which are geared towards various information security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security research, Computer Forensics and Reverse Engineering. Kali Linux is developed, funded and maintained by Offensive Security, a leading information security training company.
Kali Linux was released as a complete, top-to-bottom rebuild of BackTrack Linux, adhering completely to Debian development standards.
- More than 600 penetration testing tools included: After reviewing every tool that was included in BackTrack, we eliminated a great number of tools that either simply did not work or which duplicated other tools that provided the same or similar functionality. Details on what’s included are on the Kali Tools site.
- Free (as in beer) and always will be: Kali Linux, like BackTrack, is completely free of charge and always will be. You will never, ever have to pay for Kali Linux.
- Open source Git tree: We are committed to the open source development model and our development tree is available for all to see. All of the source code which goes into Kali Linux is available for anyone who wants to tweak or rebuild packages to suit their specific needs.
- FHS compliant: Kali adheres to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, allowing Linux users to easily locate binaries, support files, libraries, etc.
- Wide-ranging wireless device support: A regular sticking point with Linux distributions has been supported for wireless interfaces. We have built Kali Linux to support as many wireless devices as we possibly can, allowing it to run properly on a wide variety of hardware and making it compatible with numerous USB and other wireless devices.
- Custom kernel, patched for injection: As penetration testers, the development team often needs to do wireless assessments, so our kernel has the latest injection patches included.
- Developed in a secure environment: The Kali Linux team is made up of a small group of individuals who are the only ones trusted to commit packages and interact with the repositories, all of which is done using multiple secure protocols.
- GPG signed packages and repositories: Every package in Kali Linux is signed by each individual developer who built and committed it, and the repositories subsequently sign the packages as well.
- Multi-language support: Although penetration tools tend to be written in English, we have ensured that Kali includes true multilingual support, allowing more users to operate in their native language and locate the tools they need for the job.
- Completely customizable: We thoroughly understand that not everyone will agree with our design decisions, so we have made it as easy as possible for our more adventurous users to customize Kali Linux to their liking, all the way down to the kernel.
- ARMEL and ARMHF support: Since ARM-based single-board systems like the Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black, among others, are becoming more and more prevalent and inexpensive, we knew that Kali’s ARM support would need to be as robust as we could manage, with fully working installations for both ARMEL and ARMHF systems. Kali Linux is available on a wide range of ARM devices and has ARM repositories integrated with the mainline distribution so tools for ARM are updated in conjunction with the rest of the distribution.
- Visual Refresh – Updated wallpapers and GRUB theme
- Shell Prompt Changes – Visual improvements to improve readability when copying code
- Refreshed Browser Landing Page – Firefox and Chromium homepage has had a makeover to help you access everything Kali you need
- Kali Everything Image – An all-packages-in-one solution now available to download
- Kali-Tweaks Meets SSH – Connect to old SSH servers using legacy SSH protocols and ciphers
- VMware i3 Improvements – Host-guest features properly work now on i3
- Accessibility Features – Speech synthesis is back in the Kali installer
- New Tools – Various new tools added, many from ProjectDiscovery!
Note: Kali in live mode will be running as user kali password kali. No more root/toor.
Note: Kali is Linux based, but suitable for all Windows versions based PC.